Skip to main content

Web Content Display Web Content Display

Web Content Display Web Content Display

Health insurance

All foreign citizens, however short their stay in Poland are obliged to hold valid medical insurance. If they fail to provide proof of insurance in case of need of medical aid, they will have to cover the costs of the medical services.

Citizens of Member States of the EU, Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland and Switzerland, who hold a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) can get free medical aid in surgeries and hospitals marked with a National Health Fund symbol (Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia). The EHIC is issued in the country of origin of a foreigner.

Citizen of countries other than those mentioned above, who study in Poland, need to provide the consul with proof of to their medical insurance upon submitting their visa application. After they arrive I Poland, they benefit from an insurance policy obtained in their country, if the policy allows it. If not, they can sign an agreement with the National Health Fund or with a Polish insurance company.

Citizens of Polish descent can apply to the university for medical insurance coverage. First, they should sign an agreement with the National Health Fund (passport, proof of residence and university admission certificate required), then contact the JU International Student Office.


Contact Information:

International Student Office

ul. Gołębia 24, room 21, 31-007 Kraków


National Health Fund website:

European Health Insurance Card – EHIC