Skip to main content

Web Content Display Web Content Display

Apostille and legalisation

Higher education diploma and graduation certificates obtained outside of Poland need to be certified with an apostille or legalized. If you hold an International Baccalaureate diploma or a European Baccalaureate certificate, there is no need for an apostille or legalization.

What is an apostille?

Apostille is a stamp or a printed form that allows for official documents issued in one country to be legally recognised in another. Apostille has been introduced within the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documentsand can be used in countries which have signed the convention.

Apostille is issued in the same country that has issued the document in question. The Hague Conference website enlists all institutions issuing apostille.ore information about apostille can be found here.

What does legalisation mean?

Legalisation is a confirmation that an official document (e.g. maturity certificate or higher education diploma) is an original and valid one. You need to legalise a document if the country where it has been issued has not signed the Hague convention and is not listed here.

Usually a document is legalised by a Polish consul in the country of the document's origin. Bring the document in question to the Polish consulate and ask about the legalisation procedure.

More information about legalisation of official documents required in the admission processes can be found on the Ministry of Science and Higher Education website.


Apart from obtaining apostille for your documents or legalising them, remember that every document that has been issued in a language other than Polish or ENGLISH as written above needs to be translated. The translation should be certified (in Poland it is called ‘a sworn translation'). In some cases maturity certificates and higher education diplomas will also need to be nostrified once you arrive in Poland.