Skip to main content

Web Content Display Web Content Display

Navigation Navigation

Web Content Display Web Content Display


Study Mobility

How long can students go abroad?

Students of International Relations and Area Studies can go abroad for 3 to 6 months (including a complementary traineeship period, if planned). The same student may receive grants for studying or being trained abroad totalling up to 12 months maximum per each cycle of study.


What are the conditions?

The mobility is carried out in the framework of prior "inter-institutional agreements" between the sending and receiving institutions, both of which must be holders of the Erasmus Charter for Higher Education (if located in a Programme country).


What arrangements are made?

Prior to the departure the Erasmus+ student is provided with:

  • A grant agreement covering the mobility period and signed between the student and his or her sending higher education institution;
  • A "Learning Agreement" setting out the programme of studies to be followed, as approved by the student, the sending and the receiving institution;
  • The "Erasmus+ Student Charter" setting out the student's rights and obligations with respect to his/her period of study abroad.

At the end of the period abroad:

  • The receiving institution must provide the student and their sending institution with a transcript of records confirming that the agreed programme has been completed and confirming the results;
  • The sending institution must give full academic recognition for satisfactorily completed activities during the mobility period as agreed in the Learning Agreement, by using ECTS credits or an equivalent system. The mobility period should also be recorded in the Diploma Supplement.


Will financial support be provided or fees charged?

Students may be awarded an Erasmus+ EU grant to help cover the travel and subsistence costs incurred in connection with their study period abroad

Erasmus+ students - whether or not they receive an Erasmus+ EU grant - are exempted from paying fees for tuition, registration, examinations and access to laboratory and library facilities at the host institution

The payment of any national grant or loan to outgoing students should be maintained during the study period abroad


How to apply?

The main application process takes place in January for the next academic year. There might be some complementary recruitment at a later date for summer terms, but the choice and the options available will be limited.

The application needs to be submitted via USOSweb. For January recruitment the deadline is 29 January, 23:59. You need to choose three universities, add your CV and a cover letter in English (Polish versions are not needed). Please specify in your cover letter which term you would like to apply for (winter or summer term). For first year students it is possible to apply to go for exchange for the whole (second) year of their studies.

Additional documents required need to be sent via email to the relevant Erasmus Coordinator (Dr. Małgorzata Kułakowska ( for the agreements affiliated at the Institute of Political Science and International Relations, or Dr. Przemysław Tacik ( for the agreements affiliated at the Institute of European Studies)

List of the documents required:

  • Language certificate

Additional documents like references or certificates might be also sent to the relevant Coordinators. Please note that applications will be ranked by Programme Director, Dr Dziwisz mainly on the basis of your GPA which will be calculated by the IRAS Staff.

If you have been accepted to the next year conditionally, you cannot take part in the exchange.